February 2017: Dividend Account Activity
It's time for a look back at my investing month. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do, as I can use this as an opportunity to look at where I have been, and to plan for where I am headed!
February was a successful, if quiet month for my newly established dividend fund.
On the plus side, I was able to stick to my investment plan and continue to make regular weekly contributions of $100. Unlike January, I did not have additional sources of income this month, which I had anticipated.
Unfortunately, my savings and investment plan will face stresses that I did not anticipate when creating my 2017 goals.
I had created those goals based on models of income for the past two years. This year, however, due to a variety of circumstances, my anticipated tax return was only half of what it was last year. Therefore, the injection of new money into this account that I had planned for in March will most likely not occur, and will also put a lot of pressure on my weekly deposits into the dividend account as I have to balance my investment plan with the realities of daily living expenses.
At this point I am going to make every effort to maintain my strategy and work toward my annual goal. But, if things need to change, so be it. I was carefully budgeted based on having to save for summer - I'm a teacher, and only get paid ten months a year. Once summer is secured, I will have a better idea as to whether or not I can continue the weekly investments. Right now, it looks tenuous, but we'll see.
That being said, February was a successful month in that I was able to stick to the plan.
As a result, I can report that:
- I made 4 weekly $100 contributions to the dividend fund.
- The fund value increased from $13,956.34 to $14,847.96, a 6.39% increase.
- The projected annual dividend income of the dividend fund increased from $553 to $598.
- I received $23.01 in dividend income this month.
- I quickly sold out of the speculative 101 share position in Global Net Lease (GNL) that I had recently initiated (a stock I have gone back and forth with several times) and purchased 25 shares of Coca-Cola Co. (KO) instead, allowing me to sleep a lot better at night.
I hope that you had a successful February, wherever this finds you.
I will soon update the Exceptional Fund page to reflect these recent changes.
Disclosure: Long KO